Newsbreak – 4/06/2020

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Dear DUC and DSBC Members

In our last communication to you just before we went into lockdown in March, we mentioned that that after two weeks of uncertainty that the situation was then clear cut and we would have to close the club until further notice.
Now as we start to emerge out of lock down, once again uncertainty has returned so this communique is an effort to keep you informed of the club situation as things stand today! Who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Beach access, launch site and fishing.

At the moment this is the BIG question for members.
Although the Vetche’s launch site is operated by DSBC, it falls under the jurisdiction of the Durban Port Captain due to its proximity to the harbour entrance.

The Port Captain confirmed yesterday that recreational fishing will not be permitted from the club launch site until further notice.

The eThekwini municipality also still has a beaches and bathing ban in place.
Although there are directives from the various authorities’ being shared on social media and reports that some launch sites are now open, they have no relevance to our launch site due to the different regulations we fall under.
We request that all members show restraint and abide by the Port Captain’s decision as any action by members to take a chance and launch will jeopardise the club’s position with respect to our access to the launch site.
We assure you that the committee is working daily and tirelessly to have the launch site reopened, so please do not harass them further – as soon as we get the news that we can use the launch site again, this will be shared widely through all our various club member communication platforms. The committee members are just as desperate and keen as you are to get back on and in the ocean.

We appreciate how frustrating this process has been especially with all the great weather and sea conditions as well as the reports of sardines and associated game fish activity on the go but please hang in there – we hope to be back in the ocean soon!

Reopening of clubhouse

The committee took under consideration offering deliveries and take a ways under stages 4 and 3 but it was decided that, considering the constraints that the club would have to operate under, that these would not be viable options.
As beaches are still closed, there is also no point in opening up the club as just a facility only, which means access to the clubhouse and grounds but no F&B service. We will definitely consider reopening the club as a facility only when fishing is permitted and when members can access the beach again.

Fitout of new club house facility

The fitout of the new clubhouse recommenced on Monday 1st June after having been suspended by regulation from start of lock down until 31st May.
The expected time for completion of the fit out is around mid August 2020.
After taking this into consideration and the uncertainty of when the club will be allowed to continue F&B trading, it was decided by the PWC management committee not to reopen the F&B facilities of the club again until we have relocated to the new premises. As mentioned above, should we be allowed access to the beach and launch site again, the current temporary club house will be opened for facilities only use until the new clubhouse is complete. ( Parking and ablutions)
This decision will allow the club to move into the new premises as sections such as the kitchen and bars are completed and we can start moving equipment over without the having to close the temporary club and rush everything over to the new club as we had to do in 2017 when we did the last move. It should also mean that we will be ready to greet you again in the new club in August (hopefully) at the earliest possible opportunity.

We will keep in touch if circumstances change.

Keep safe and sane
The PWC Team[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]